Notable is a dynamic new production celebrating the life of Civil Rights pioneer Viola Desmond (known as ‘Canada’s Rosa Parks’), who has now become the first woman to grace the front of the Canadian 10 dollar bill. A civil rights icon, Viola Desmond broke down barriers and provided inspiration to all Canadians around social justice issues. Her act of bravery to stand for justice and equality led to the eventual abolishment of the segregation laws in the province of Nova Scotia in 1954.
Notable:The Story of Viola Desmond is a multi media production that will motivate and inspire every student with the reminder that one person can indeed make a difference. Our hope is that this production will demonstrate to each student that the spirit of activism is a much needed driving force in their lives to address difficult issues of injustice in all its facets.
Students will be empowered and inspired by this multi media production with its timely message of racial equality, social justice & activism!
NOTABLE: The Story of Viola Desmond
* Features a cast of professional young actors
* Is a hard hitting story with strong historical content.
* Is a Canadian based production that introduces students to key figures in Canadian history.
* Is written and directed by EMG Education, a trusted and reliable source for Educational Theatre. Productions have been seen by over 70,000 Students, in every school district, to tremendous reviews (available on emgeducation.com). TDSB Approved Vendor.
* Inspires students to see that ordinary people can accomplish the extraordinary!
* This year we feature a special tribute in honour of African Canadian Innovators!
* Two 50 minute shows per school, over two assemblies
* A Special Video Tribute to African Canadian Innovators
* The opportunity for students to become interactively involved during intermission